Barnett International's Core Curriculum courses are comprehensive role-based clinical research training programs designed to provide industry professionals with hands-on training in a dynamic virtual setting. Held four times a year during our “Clinical Research Training Weeks,” courses offer clinical research-focused, performance-based training and core competency development.
Statistical Concepts for Non-Statisticians
This course will be offered from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Eastern
Designed for non-statisticians, this basic statistical concepts workshop has direct applicability to clinical research. The choice of statistical method, the application of statistical principles, and the interpretation of statistical results are the foundation of the design and analysis of clinical trials. It is therefore critical that statistical methods are fully understood before they are implemented. This course is beneficial to all clinical research professionals involved in the design, monitoring, interpretation, and reporting of clinical trials. Please note that this is not a course on advanced statistical formulas or computations. An understanding of basic algebra is required as application of some basic statistical formulas will be conducted.
- Determine what information the statistician needs to determine the sample size
- Identify the appropriate sample statistical designs for a study
- Employ statistical terms used in clinical research
- Define the role of the statistician in the study design
- Determine the approach to become comfortable talking to statisticians
Who Should Attend
- Monitors who will assist in designing and evaluating studies
- Clinical Research Associates who will be communicating with statisticians
- Clinical Project Leaders who will be designing and evaluating studies
- Regulatory Professionals who utilize statistical concepts in their reports
- Medical Writers who must interpret statistical reports
The course will be led by the following instructor:
Misha Eliasziw, Ph.D.
Click here for complete trainer biographies
- Elements in Choice of Statistical Method Descriptive Statistics: Distributions; mean, median, mode, standard deviation
- Methods for Preserving Objectivity: Blinding; randomization; consequences of violations
- Inference, Generalizing to a Population: Standard error; confidence interval; estimation and prediction
- Study Design: Uncontrolled studies; parallel groups; crossover designs (patient as own control); block designs
- Hypothesis Testing: Creating hypothesis from objectives; level of significance, p-values; one-sided versus two-sided; types of errors
- Power and Sample Size: Accuracy of estimates; confidence intervals; testing (effect size and variability)
- Choice of Statistical Method
- Specialized Topics
- Interpreting the Statistical Report
- Constructing Confidence Intervals
- Creating and Testing with Real Data Individual and Group Hypotheses
- Calculating Sample Sizes and Study Power
Special rates are available for multiple attendees from the same organization. Please contact Barnett Customer Service at +1 781.972.5400 or toll-free in the U.S. 800.856.2556 for more information. Or email Customer Service at: email@example.com.
Barnett International is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. Participants will receive 15 hours (1.5 CEUs) of continuing education credit for full participation, including the completion of a pre-test, post-test, and program evaluation. Barnett International will issue a receipt of completion for earned CEUs within three weeks of program completion. ACPE#: 0778-0000-21-005-L04-P. Released: 3/21.
Hold this course at your company! For more information, contact Naila Ganatra at +1 215.413.2471.