Barnett International's Core Curriculum courses are comprehensive role-based training programs designed to provide participants with hands-on training in a dynamic setting. Held four times a year during Barnett’s “Clinical Research Training Weeks,” courses offer focused, performance-based training and employee development.
WORKSHOP: Trial Master Files: Why They Are Important and How to Organize Them
This course offering will take place live via WebEx from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM Eastern. Participants will receive an email confirmation that includes the seminar link to enter the meeting room as well as the audio connection information.
The Trial Master File is a collection of the essential documents for a sponsor to record how they have fulfilled their obligations for a clinical trial. The Code of Federal Regulations states in 21 CFR 312.50 that, “Sponsors are responsible for… ensuring that the investigation(s) is conducted in accordance with the general investigational plan and protocols contained in the IND.” The European Directive 2005/28/EC states that, “the trial master file shall consist of essential documents, which enable both the conduct of a clinical trial and the quality of the data produced to be evaluated.” ICH GCP E6 Guideline, Section 8.1 defines these essential documents as those that individually and collectively permit evaluation of the conduct of a trial and the quality of the data produced. These documents serve to demonstrate the compliance of the investigator, sponsor, and monitor with the standards of GCP and with all applicable regulatory requirements. They are all also eligible for inspection by the regulatory authorities at any time during and after the study is completed and submitted for product approval. This is the same regulation for drugs, biologics and devices. It is, therefore, paramount that these documents are filed in a way to make them immediately accessible for use by the study team and for regulatory inspection. This module will provide some practical solutions to meet these challenges.
Participants will review the content that is required of a Trial Master File for drugs and devices for a clinical trial, and will acquire a practical understanding of how these documents provide evidence for the regulated activities of the investigator and the sponsor.
The activities of set-up, maintenance, and quality assurance will be discussed, as well as common deficiencies and challenges. The need for an effective Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) will also be examined.
In today’s regulatory environment, the files must be “audit ready” at all times. Regulatory authorities may contact the sponsor and request a particular document be provided to them for inspection. Therefore, the timely filing and organization of these documents is of utmost importance. There needs to be a consistent system employed such that documents can be located and provided for study team use as well as regulatory inspection in a timely manner.
- Describe the required components of a Trial Master File
- Implement strategies for effective filing of required documents
- Effectively manage the Trial Master File
- Recognize the importance of a well-organized Trial Master File
- Investigate common deficiencies in filing systems
- Participate in filing some key documents and discuss the rationale for the placement of such documents
Who Should Attend
- Lead Clinical Research Associates
- Clinical Research Associate Managers
- Project and/or Study Managers
- Project and/or Clinical Trial Assistants
- Clinical Operations Administrators
- Quality Assurance Personnel
- Sponsor and CRO personnel involved in set up, maintenance, and auditing of the Trial Master File for sponsors
The course will be led by one of the following instructors:
Donna W. Dorozinsky, R.N., M.S.N., C.C.R.C.
Laura Wiggins, M.B.A.
- Required Components of Trial Master File
- Set Up and Maintenance of a Trial Master File
- SOP Review and Critique
- Practical Experience Filing Using a Sample Trial Master File
- Discussion of Common Deficiencies and Review of Challenges Presented by Participants
- The pitfalls and challenges encountered in setting up a Trial Master File
- The challenges in maintaining an effective Trial Master File
- Critique a Standard Operating Procedure established as a sample policy
- Participate in actual filing of sample documents using the Drug Information Association Trial Master File Reference Model
- Discuss the value of proper filing of documentation related to the Trial Master File
- Learners are encouraged to bring specific work-related document samples, and will have the opportunity to evaluate these in light of best practices and GCP standards
Registration fees include assorted breakfast items that will be available each day ½ hour prior to the start of the seminar. Also included is a Networking Lunch that will be served each training day.
Special rates are available for multiple attendees from the same organization. Contact Melissa Dolen at 781-972-5418 to discuss your options and take advantage of the savings.
Barnett International is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. Participants will receive 6 hours (0.6 CEUs) of continuing education credit for full participation, including the completion of a pre-test, post-test, and program evaluation. Barnett International will issue a receipt of completion for earned CEUs within three weeks of program completion. ACPE#: 0778-0000-19-063-L01-P. Released: 10/19.
Hold this course at your company! For more information, contact Naila Ganatra at +1 215.413.2471.